Monday, August 9, 2010

Week ending August 15, 2010

8/9 - 40 minutes AM (5 miles), 70 minutes PM (10 miles)

8/10 - 40 minutes AM (5 miles), 65 minutes PM (10 miles)

8/11 - 40 minutes AM (5 miles), workout PM (2 miles warm up, then 5 x mile w/ 400m recovery, 5:17, 5:16, 5:16, 5:11, 5:06, 2 miles cool down) Not a real killer, but I was feeling kind of sluggish so the first couple took a little effort to get going. Once I got rolling this felt pretty smooth. According to Joe Vigil these mile reps during base phase should be about 85% of mile PR, so for me that would be 4:26/.85 = 5:13. He recommends 3 minutes recovery, but that seems way too long for someone like me who is mainly an aerobic guy, not a college 800-1500 guy. (10 miles)

8/12 - 40 minutes AM (5 miles), 59 minutes PM (8 miles)

8/13 - 40 minutes AM (5 miles), 51 minutes PM (7 miles)

8/14 - Bridge of Flowers 10K (3 miles warm up, race in 33:03, 3 miles cool down) (12 miles)

8/15 - 100 minutes (16 miles)

Summary: 98 miles for the week with a hard race and a solid 16 miler on Sunday. For some reason I can run the day after a race, it is the second day after that I'm really sore. I'm typing this on Monday morning and my legs are killing me.

9 comments:

Jeff Goupil said...

Nice work out man, looks like you are ready to roll this weekend

Wilesthing said...

Thanks man. I'm kind of bummed that it is a slow course because I think I'm ready for a PR but I don't think this is a course that will really allow it. We'll see though!

Rob said...

Bob--like you said to me--train like an animal, run like a man! I bet you will do great this weekend!

Rob said...

wow--great insight into your pacing, Bob--

Wilesthing said...

Thanks Rob. the workouts I'm doing right now aren't intended to be super hard. Of course, at 100 mpw, the overall strain on my body is substantial, so the workouts don't need to be as tough right now. If I was trying to peak for a 10K right now I'd back off the miles a little bit and do more stuff at 10K goal pace with short recovery, followed by really easy recovery days to let it absorb. Right now I'm trying to build a bigger engine. I'll try to put fancy wheels on it later! Of course, I'm planning on sticking to this base phase for a while, so hopefully by the end of it the workout times will drop a little, but the effort will be about the same for a while.

Rob said...

That's pretty interesting. I like how you constantly switch things up. Science supports what you are doing, too. Training smart is the key, which is what you are doing.

Erik Johnson said...

Are you reading a Joe vigil book ? the work sounds surprisingly like the cruise miles by daniels...

I feel you have a gift of raw speed that you should be training like go for the Mile and 5ks dude ... unless you really want to move to marathon some day you should just burn up the track with out holding back...

Daniel Hocking said...

Congrats again, especially doing it off base/early-season type work with real mileage. It sounds like you've got a good system of periodization going.

I too was curious where you were getting your Vigil info? I'm always looking for more good training ideas.

Keep up the good work!

Wilesthing said...

Thanks Dan! I actually don't have Vigil's book, but got the info from Nate Jenkins, who took it from Joe's book Road to the Top (pages 109-110) and is supposed to be base work for 5K-10K. I'd like to get the book myself at some point.