Monday, August 2, 2010

Week ending August 8, 2010

8/2 - 48 minutes AM (6 miles), 58 minutes PM (8 miles)

8/3 - 65 minutes (10 miles)

8/4 - 48 minutes AM (6 miles), 67 minutes PM, varying pace (10 miles)

8/5 - 40 minutes AM (5 miles), workout PM (2 miles warm up, then 10 x 1K @ ~15K pace, 3:16, 3:17, 3:15, 3:16, 3:17, 3:17, 3:18, 3:17, 3:17, 3:13, all with 400m recovery in a little under 2 minutes) (12 miles)

8/6 - 40 minutes AM (5 miles), 72 minutes PM (10 miles)

8/7 - 60 minutes (8 miles)

8/8 - 3 miles warm up, Lobster Festival 10K (32:09), 3 miles cool down (12 miles)

Summary: 92 miles for the week, missed a couple of morning runs. Another nice week of base work, with an accidental 10K PR! I went to the Rockland Lobster Festival to meet up with Seth for a fun race and tune up before Bridges of Flowers next weekend. Based on previous years, I thought I could come run a tempo and win. But...ran into Michael Bunker at the starting line and realized that wasn't going to happen. We ran together and chatted a bit at about 32 minute pace for the first 4 miles, sort of agreeing to just run hard for a while and not try to kill each other. His girlfriend was biking alongside us and it was actually a really nice time just running though Rockland at a hard yet sustainable pace on a beautiful morning. The cruiser had ditched us so it really was just like a hard training run with a friend. I call this an accidental PR because normally at the 2/3 mark of a PR effort I want to puke/quit/die and have to gut it out. Today at 4 miles I thought, "Huh, I wonder if one of us should make a move at some point?" So I was obviously still very much in control on the rolling course. A little after 4 miles I picked it up a little bit and got about 10-15 meters on Michael because it just felt like a good idea and I was wondering how Beach to Beacon was feeling in his legs. At about 4.5 we turned right and into a nice long hill which kind of took the wind out of my sails. Michael reeled me in and we stayed together for another couple minutes and hit 5 miles in under 26:20. I told him he covered the move nicely and that I'd got enough of a workout so if he wanted to hammer it in he was on his own. Shortly after that he did drop the hammer and take off, as he was hoping to be under 32 minutes for two days in a row, which he did. I brought it home at an honest but tolerable pace and finished 2nd in 32:09. Nice to know I'm getting stronger and that I can run and PR in the middle of higher mileage than I've ever run and without killing myself.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Nice job, Bob!